Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) Chain-of-Custody is an Internationally recognised system of forest certification and product labelling that aids consumers to identify wood and wood-based products from well-managed forests. It is recognised throughout the world with over 4,021 certified organisations across 72 countries and supported by WWF, Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth and Woodland Trust.
Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC)
PEFC is an independent, non- profit, non-governmental organisation that promotes sustainably managed forests through independent third party certification. Within its membership, there are 32 independent forest certification schemes of which 22 have completed the rigorous assessment process. These 22 schemes account for over 187 million hectares of certified forest producing millions of tonnes of certified timber
What are the Aims of the FSC & PEFC Chain-of-Custody Certification?
Chain-of Custody is the unbroken path which products take from the forest to the customer, including all stages of manufacturing, transformation and distribution.
Chain-of Custody certification provides evidence that the certified product originates from certified well-managed forests, and verifies that these products are not mixed with products from uncertified forests at any point in the supply chain except under strict controls when percentage labelling is being used.
Chain-of-Custody certification is required whenever a company carries out any physical alteration to the timber/product, they take physical or legal ownership of the timber/product and whenever a company wishes to make independent use of the FSC of PEFC trademark.
What are the benefits of FSC & PEFC Chain-of-Custody Certification?
- Recognised as an environmentally responsible organisation
- Independent, third-party verification of good practice
- Providing Sales & Marketing opportunities:-
- An increasing number of major clients & designers prefer to buy and promote certified products
- 84% of consumers have a better image of companies that support environmental causes
- The right to use certification logos, both on & off product
What we can help you with?
- Identify Key Control Points
- Assist in developing good operating practices
- Document operating practices and procedures
- Conduct FSC/PEFC Chain-of-Custody awareness training
- Perform auditing of sites and processes
- Assist with the selection of an external certification body
- Act as your representative at Chain-of-Custody system audits
- Keep you up to date with changes
- Provide part-time management support (if required)